Wednesday 29 June 2016

Blue Tits Revisited (The Fledglings)

Back in May I shared the story of our Blue Tit parents who, after occupying our nest box with the hidden camera, laid ten eggs. This is the continuation of that story and I will start with a picture of the ten eggs which were being dutifully incubated by our female Blue Tit:

Blue Tit Eggs on 5th May 2016

Female Blue Tit Sitting on Eggs

Blue Tit Eggs on 15th May 2016
The 16th May saw the first egg to hatch, which was just over three weeks after the first egg was laid:
 
First Egg Hatches

Young Chick is Tiny and Vulnerable
The rest of the eggs started to hatch over the forthcoming days until we had seven young chicks in the nest. Three of the eggs did not hatch, which is not unusual in a Blue Tit brood.
The chicks were well fed by both parents and grew quickly:
 
Both Parents fed the Chicks
The following time-lapse video (covering a period of about four weeks) will give you an idea how quickly the chicks grew:

 
I have a lot of videos of the chicks over the four weeks they spent in the nest; but I will spare you and only show a few clips, the first illustrating how the chicks react to food being brought in:
 
 
They can certainly tell when the parents are coming to feed them.
The following video (or series of videos) was captured using my trail camera and shows how diligent the adult birds were in feeding the young chicks:
 
 
The next clip shows how big the chicks got within a few weeks after being fed intensively by the adults (there was barely room for seven chicks, just as well all ten did not hatch!):
 
 
 
 The chicks had even started to preen by this stage, in preparation for leaving the nest.
By the 7th June all seven chicks had grown and were very restless; looking very much like they were ready to fledge:
Crowded and Restless
 Anticipating that they might fledge the next morning I put my trail camera in place outside the nest box in the hope that I might capture a picture of the chicks leaving the nest.
My hunch was right and on the 8th June I woke to find an empty nest:
Empty Nest?
At least I thought it was empty!.............. then just as I was about to shut down the nest-box camera................. I noticed a little beak sticking out from the corner of the nest-box:
I'm Still Here
It was the smallest of the chicks (commonly known as the runt of the brood) and he hadn't left the nest yet!
Over the next hour or so I watched the drama unfold as the adult Blue Tits tried to coax 'Runty' out of the nest by bringing in food and then taking it back out to a nearby branch:


This coaxing exercise was repeated several times.................. and was also captured on my trail camera:


The last chick eventually succumbed to the temptation of food and left the nest-box to join its siblings in a nearby tree.
Great that they all fledged successfully, but did I capture any of the seven chicks leaving the nest on my trail camera? ..................the simple answer is no! ...........................not even Runty!!
I was most disappointed, especially since the trail camera was in the right place at the right time; however the way that I set up the camera was to take a ten second video when it detects movement then shut off for one minute until the next movement is detected. With hindsight I should have had it on for longer and off for shorter........you live and learn! The chicks obviously fledged between the videoing gaps.............like Ninjas!!
I did however capture a video clip of an adult Blue Tit attacking the camera after all the chicks had fledged ...........as if to say "move along, nothing to see here":

 
 
So that is the end of our Blue Tit story; two adults successfully laid ten eggs, seven of which hatched and seven chicks fledged to start their own story.
Here's hoping we have similar success with the nest-box next year (maybe I'll catch them fledging next time?)

Take Care

Teddyedward

 

5 comments:

  1. Amazing photos! Very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work! I always look forward to your posts. After seeing your cameras at work I have been very impressed. I now have put a Trail camera on my Christmas list, but the nest box camera may not work for us. We had chickadees in one of our boxes, the other two had House Wrens, who seem to build their twig nest all the way up to the opening, making it difficult to see or film anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you both liked the photos.
    Mary, a nest-box camera might still work as the camera is in the apex of the roof, so as long as there is a space between the entrance hole and the top of the roof you might see something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to read up on the House wren nest, because when I’ve removed old ones, it appears that the birds actually go down into the centre to lay the eggs so the nest has its own roof.
    I noticed that the Blue Tits still created a traditional round nest, whereas our Chickadees in the nest box just do layers of moss, down, dried grasses (and a little cat hair!) in the shape of the actual box

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes the Blue Tits pushed all the nesting material to the side of the box and created a cup in the centre for the eggs/chicks. When the chicks got bigger the nest did collapse in on itself a bit, but the chicks didn't seem to bother.
    Wrens tend to just fill whatever gap there is with nesting material then create a hollow within it to lay their eggs, so you probably wouldn't see anything from the camera in the roof.

    ReplyDelete